Written by: Alex Green
When word came out last year that there would be a re-make of 1991’s “Point Break,” everyone was like, “No way, dude.”
Okay, they weren’t.
Well, maybe they were a little…
The Kathryn Bigelow-directed film starring Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swayze may have been a minor hit at the time of its release back in 1991, grossing nearly 85 million dollars, but it’s taken on a second life by becoming a cult hit over the years–so much so, that there’s even a “Point Break Live!” event in L.A. where an audience member is chosen to play Reeves’ Johnny Utah character.
Until the new film hits theaters, we thought we’d give you a primer for the new “Point Break.”
1. The Johnny Utah role has been handed off to Luke Bracey (“G.I. Joe: Retaliation”) and not to Joseph Gordon-Levitt as many had originally believed.
2. The screenplay was written by Kurt Wimmer (“Total Recall”).
3. Actor Edgar Ramirez will be playing Bodhi, the character originally made famous by Patrick Swayze.
4. Ramirez, a 37-year-old Venezuelan actor, is best known for his role in “Zero Dark Thirty.”
5. The Oscar-winning Bigelow (“Zero Dark Thirty”) may have directed the original “Point Break” but the remake will be directed by Ericson Core (“Invincible“). He had nothing to do with “Zero Dark Thirty” by the way…
6. The movie will no longer be using surfing as a backdrop, and will instead focus on the world of extreme sports.
7. …and bankrobbing.
8. The extreme sports that appear in the film are: big-wave surfing, wingsuit flying, sheer-face snowboarding, free rock climbing, and high-speed motorcycling. Feel free to Google “wingsuit flying.” We had to.
9. Ray Winstone will be taking over the Angelo Pappas role that Gary Busey played originally.
10. Swedish actor Matias Varela (Snabba Cash, Arne Dahl, The Borgias) plays Bodhi’s brother Grommet. Varela was nominated for a Swedish Oscar nod for his performance in the final Snabba Cash film, Livet Deluxe.
11. Bojesse Christopher, who played Grommet in the original film, will appear in the remake as F.B.I. Director Chapman.
12. Australian actress/model Teresa Palmer will play Utah’s love interest.
13. In real life Palmer’s young son is named Bodhi Rain Webber.
14. Do you think that’s weird?
15. “Point Break” will be released December 25th, 2015.