Written by: Alex Green
There’s a new Harry Potter installment on the way in just a few hours and here’s what you need to know before the clock strikes midnight.
- Harry Potter And The Cursed Child is not a new Harry Potter book. It’s not even written by J.K. Rowling. So why be excited? Well, it’s a new entry in the world of Harry Potter but instead of a novel, it’s a two-part play.
- Although the play was written by renowned British theatre director Jack Thorne, the story itself was confected by Rowling, John Tiffany and Thorne.
Harry Potter And The Cursed Child is the eighth book to take place in the Harry Potter world.
- Timeline-wise, the story is set 19 years after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Potter is now in the employ of the Ministry Of Magic and his son Albus Severus Potter finds himself wrestling with the gift and curse of magic.
- The publisher of the book issued this synopsis of the storyline: “It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.”
- Bookstores across the country are having midnight Harry Potter parties and Scholastic has a site where all you have to do is enter your area code and you’ll be directed to the nearest party.
- Many are hoping this will herald more adventures for Harry Potter, but Rowling told Reutuers that’s not the case. As in, that’s really not the case. “No. No,” she said. “He goes on a very big journey during these two plays and then, yeah, I think we’re done. This is the next generation, you know. So, I’m thrilled to see it realized so beautifully but, no, Harry is done now.”
- More Harry Potter (ish) cinematic treats are in store for fans–this Fall, Eddie Redmayne and Colin Farrell will be starring in Fantastic Beasts, the movie adaptation of the 2001 book by Rowling which explores all the creatures of the Harry Potter universe.
- The pre-order numbers for Harry Potter And The Cursed Child have been so staggering, many are predicting it will be the best-selling book of 2016.
The book is being released at midnight because Sunday is Harry Potter’s birthday. It’s also J.K. Rowling’s as well. So if you’re planning on sending a card, send two. And we feel we should point out they both should be sent to the same address.